Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #3 Like Skype

I have been using Skype for couple of years now. It is a great and very inexpensive way to talk/chat with people across the globe. I have friends and family in India/England/Dubai, so we have setup a time with them when they come and we do conference call with them. Sometimes we have friends and relatives from 7-8 different places and we all talk to each other at the same time.

We used to use Yahoo messenger and MSN messenger, we still sometimes do, but the sound quality is little better with skype. In Skype, however we cannot do video conferencing with more than two contacts, so we also open Yahoo messenger and use that webcam, but we have to compromise in picture and voice quality.

In the classroom, we can use this to stay connected with other teachers, or team teach and collaborate.

5 comments:

VWB said...

Might need to come talk to you and get some expert tips!

Unknown said...

I guess I'll have to give it a try - I have overseas family too.

L'l Bit said...

It has got to be great for communicating with relatives across the ocean like you said!

Experimental Play said...

It is a great way to stay in touch with people overseas. I don't even feel I am so far away from my relatives and friends, I talk to them and see them (on webcam) more often than people staying close to them.

Andrea said...

WOW! With your connections it would be fun to see if your students could have a video confeence with students overseas.